Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sydney Logan


My First Year in Publishing

September 6 will mark the one year anniversary of the release of my debut novel, Lessons Learned. Since that time, I have released my second novel, as well as three short stories. I have learned so much during the past year in regards to writing, promotion, and making connections in the publishing world. Many “lessons learned,” for sure!

If I could offer one piece of advice to aspiring writers, it would be to prepare yourself for the “business” side of writing. Whether you self-publish or are signed by an indie or traditional publisher, most (if not all) of the marketing of your books will be up to you. You will also be responsible for maintaining a presence on social media. All of this marketing, promoting, and connecting is part of the gig, and it’s obviously an important part. It can also be enjoyable, especially when you have the chance to interact with readers. Unfortunately, all this promotion cuts into valuable writing time, and it only gets harder with each new release.

It’s all about balance.

My advice? Choose a few social media sites and get comfortable with them. I tend to focus my attention on my website, Twitter, and Facebook, but choose what’s best for you. I use my social media sites to promote my books, highlight other authors, and to keep my readers updated on upcoming releases and events.

It’s very easy to get consumed by social media and marketing because both are essential in spreading the word about your books. These sites keep you connected to your readers and (hopefully) help you connect with new ones.

Just be sure to manage your time wisely, because writing time is precious.

Sydney Logan holds a Master's degree in Elementary Education and lives in East Tennessee. With the 2012 release of her novel, Lessons Learned, she made the transition from bookworm to author. Her second book, Mountain Charm, was released in 2013. She is also the author of three short stories. When she isn't writing, Sydney enjoys playing piano and relaxing on her porch with her wonderful husband and their very spoiled cat.

Visit her online:
Website: http://www.sydneylogan.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SydneyALogan

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SydneyLoganAuthor

No comments:

Post a Comment