Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Topic Tuesday

Today I thought I would start with something a little fun and in honor of my chosen writing genre (romance).  Read the prompt below and write your own Happily Never After for the Cinderella story.  I would love for you to share what you come up with and post it in the comment section.

Prompt:
Fairy tales have happy endings.  All of us know what happened in that mushy fairy tale, Cinderella.  Yeah it’s romantic, the prince actually finding Cinderella.  They lived happily ever after.  But happy endings can sometimes be, well…boring.  No zing. So predictable.  So…happy.  What if the shoe fit one of the sisters?  What happens then?  Play with your imagination here.  Be funny if you like. Or serious if you feel like it.  Or be an Alfred Hitchcock.  Whatever you are into, write your ending to the Cinderella story—but this time, make it so that the shoe fit one of the icky sisters.  What does Prince Charming do?  How does Cinderella cope with it?  And what about the Fairy Godmother?  Start your story here.
(Prompt provided by http://creativewritingprompts.com/)

My ending:
Prince Charming smiled up at Cinderella as he slowly slipped the glass slipper over her slim elegant foot.  Cinderella held her breath for what felt like ages as the shoe crept over her toes, then her heel to finally slip into place. But wait!  The shoe was too big.  How could this be?  Cinderella and Prince Charming locked eyes, shock etched all over her face. Cinderella’s evil half-sisters snickered in the background.

“It looks like you won’t be leaving us so soon after all Cinder-smella,” Gertrude sneered.  “Look at you getting your hopes up.  How pathetic.  Now get out of my way. It’s my turn to try the shoe on.”

“No I will not move!  This is my shoe I left it at the ball last night.”

“If it was your shoe then why doesn’t it fit?” Gertrude asked accusation and skepticism dripping from every syllable she spoke.

“That is an excellent question. I will have to ask my Fairy Godmother?”

“First you have delusions about going to a royal ball, now you have an imaginary Fairy Godmother?  Do you realize how cra-cra you sound right now?  Guards drag this crazy half-wit out of the room until my sister and I have tried on the shoe.”

“Wait no..wait…” Cinderella screamed as she was dragged from the room.  Both sisters watched with open enjoyment until their step-sisters could no longer be heard.  In true chameleon form Gertrude twirled around to face Prince Charming showing as much sweetness and charm that anyone with such a cold heart could must.

Prince Charming’s eyes roamed the room looking for an exit.  It would be a cold day in hell before he married one of these two hags.  Between the clown like make-up, rancid odor of perfume and body odor, rotting teeth and hair that hadn't seen a comb in days his little member literally tried to crawl back into him at the prospect of touching one of them.  He was taking a leap even going for the smelly servant girl, whatshername, Cindy, Ella, Cinder, or whatever.  At least that one wasn't bad on the eyes and could at least be bathed and made presentable.

“Well Prince Charming.  It looks like it’s my turn.  I can’t wait to be your wife.”

“Madame I would rather turn to bestiality and marry a pig before I would even consider either of you.  You may have the shoe and if anyone in this household makes an attempt to contact me I will have you all beheaded!”  

The Prince threw the glass slipper up in the air in the general direction of the girls standing with their mouths hanging open and made his way to the door.  Gertrude caught the shoe seconds before it hit the ground.  With little hesitation she slipped the shoe onto her foot and marveled at the fact that it fit.  “Prince Charming it fits! It fits! I’m your new bride” she shouted at the Prince’s retreating form.  Without looking back Prince Charming made his way to his carriage.  Stepping in he paused for a brief moment to talk with his valley.  “Sam my good man.  When we get back to the castle please send a chamber maid to my suite.”  Without waiting for a response he climbed into the carriage and rode off into the sunset.


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment