Monday, August 5, 2013

Reading a book to write a book

Happy Funday Monday!!!

Today has really been a great day for me and I hope that it has been for you all as well.  In addition to writing, I also have a day job and today I didn't have to go into the office because the AC was broken.

Hooray!!!!

                                                    
I have gotten so much writing done it is ridiculous and I got to spend another day in my trusty sweatpants (they treat me so well).  Just as a reminder, today I posted the first chapter of my miniseries "Phone sex operators need love too" so go check it out (click here).  It is the story of Julia the self-professed "loneliest phone sex operator in the world" and her journey into online dating.  I will be posting a new chapter every Monday so keep coming back to find out what randomness Julia gets herself into.

Onto a less self-promoting topic.  As many of you know writing is a talent, but also a skill that must be developed by studying your craft.  I am working on publishing my first book (so excited!!) at the moment and I must say it is a long and sometimes confusing process.  There have been many times where I was like, "Ok I need an editor. Where the hell do I get an editor?" or "I am ten chapters into my book and I officially have no idea where to take it from here".

 It was at these points that I began to realize that although my natural talent was good I would need to add a little skill to that talent to become truly GREAT.  So I began reading even more novels in the genre I am interested.  I saw how the authors handled certain things that I might be struggling with such as creating solid dialogue.  And I also turned to books on how to write a book.  If you are looking for something to try yourself, below are a few titles that you might find helpful.  If you're more of an off the cuff  writer than more power to you, but for those of us who aren't there's no problem with that either.

Well that's all she wrote!







As a bit of a P.S.:
 I don't know if there are any romance novelists out there that are looking for a fun way to promote there books, but The Masquerade Crew (a group of reviewers) are hosting their Romance Novel Scavenger Hunt in the month of September.  You can check out their website by clicking the link below.


No comments:

Post a Comment